Sunday, January 10, 2010

Baseball, Apple Pie & Drag Racing.


I love old cars and trucks! Here is a little history of where that love comes from. I grew up in the 50's, 60's and early 70's with rock n' roll and muscle cars. My dad started drag racing in 1961 with a 1957 Mercury Montclair. He then raced a 1962 Volvo 122S (with the 1800cc engine) and then a 1964 Comet Cyclone.

His favorite and most successful drag car was his 1969 cj428 Cougar Eliminator. He still owns two Cougar Eliminators (the 1969 cj428 & a 1970 351c) and a very rare 1969 XR-7 cj428 convertible. Though he no long races he shows these beauties in car shows around the country.

When I was growing up I spent many happy weekends at the race track. I remember falling asleep after a day at the races with the sound of dragsters still in my head. So when I attend our local hotrod shows I am filled with wonderful nostalgia of growing up when hotrods and rock n' roll were kings (and in my world they still are!)

Here is one of the designs I created for my Reprise Vintage shop. It features close-up photographs I took of hot rod flame paint jobs. Hope it takes you back to the days when you could 'chirp' your tires through 3 gears and still win the race.

What was your first car? Do you have any favorite classic cars?

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Oh post pictures of his cougars! My grandpa bought me my first car in 1978 it was a 1967 cougar. I loved that car!
Peggy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comment

Joyce said...

My brother had a Cougar and the color was called Sea Foam green. It thought it was the best car ever and would beg him to take me for a ride.
Joyce

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...